Monday, July 12, 2010

bakasana: fear of flying


I was tickled to learn that one of my yoga students had been inspired to draw a comic based on her explorations of bakasana (crow/crane pose) with me. I spend part of the beginning of every one of my Level 2 classes by working on core strength and upper body strength. This Level 2 group has been consistently working on bakasana each week because I love to see the surprise and feeling of accomplishment when the students are able to fully get into the pose after some weeks of practice.

Here's what the artist had to say:
"Here's the thing. I did think this every time I tried this pose: that I could manage it if I just weren't overweight, that something about my girth or the distribution of weight over my wrists or something, was keeping me from being able to do this pose.
"And it wasn't. A bunch of things were keeping me out of this pose, among them arm strength (which I'm building over time) and confidence (also building over time). But my weight had very little, and maybe nothing, to do with it, and I am left thinking, what other things in my life have I figured are impossible because I think I'm too fat for it? What else am I unfairly blaming on my weight?"


Do we all have something like this? A fill-in-the-blank about why we can't do fill-in-the-blank?

I could do _____________, if it just weren't for ________________.

One of the many beautiful things about yoga is that it gets you asking these kinds of questions.

See Sarah's bakasana comic (and others) full size at I think you're sauceome.

And check out this slideshow of lots of folks, from elite to regular-people yogis, doing inspiring arm-balance poses.

No comments:

Post a Comment